Assignment One: Personal Narrative

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Circle of Death by Andrew Byrne

​I woke up that morning hoping that I wasn’t where I was.  The air was a moist cloud.  My tent was too dark for a summer morning.  I sat up on my cot and wrangled out of the mosquito net.  The tent flaps were tied unbelievably tight and I almost wanted them to stay that way.  I reluctantly squirmed through the small opening into what looked to be an ugly day.  What comforting weather to have on a day that would match.  I heard Hav, Mr. Jamal, and all the other adults yell,
​“ Everybody get up!”
​They were replied with a thunder of groans and yawns.  I walked over to the makeshift clothesline and grabbed my bathing suit and my towel.  I walked slowly to the shower house and changed into the clothes I thought I might die in.  As I walked back to the campsite, I almost was run over by a couple of bikers rushing to the rifle range.  I trudged to the picnic table and sat down waiting for three of my friends who might my torture.  Henry, Sam, and Nolan burst from their tents smiling, laughing, and were happy.  Happy for what?
​I said to them, “ We should head to the waterfront soon.”
​We mounted our bikes, zoomed down Goose Hill, and 5 minutes later arrived at Adams’ Waterfront.  
​I went to my lifesaving group and the others went to their swimming group.  I was the smallest in the group. I was only thirteen while the others were 16 or 17 (one was twelve but was HUGE).  I was exhausted. This lifesaving course was tough; on the first day we swam 500 meters without a break.  Today, we were going to be going through the “Circle of Death.”  Just the name gave me goose bumps.  I was scared, but the instructors were having a blast.  Jared, the instructor, explained to us,
​“ Today, you will be going through the “Circle of Death.” He said smiling. “ This exercise tests your ability to avoid being drowned.  When trying to save a conscious, drowning victim without a guard tube, they might try to push you under, so they can stay up.  What you guys will be doing is jumping into the pond, treading water, and shutting your eyes.  What we will be doing is trying to drown you, 3 times.  I you are having any difficulty at all, tap, hit, or punch while you are under and we’ll bring you back up.”          
​My stomach started to twist.  Jared, an extremely fit state ranking high school wrestler, and Nick, who’s two and a half times my size, led us out to the docks and had us jump into the water.  
​I was talking to myself, “Should I jump in?  Should I go through with it? Did I pay enough attention in the class before?  Am I over thinking this?  Whatever, 1…2…3!”   Splash!
​I swam towards the center, closed my eyes and started to tread water.  I heard sudden splashes and then silence, then sudden splashes then silence.  All of a sudden I stopped thinking, breathing, and moving for 2 seconds. I opened my eyes and saw a huge arm around my neck.  I tried to tuck my head under and out of his arm as they instructed to do.  But I couldn’t.  I was squirming, loosing air, and then I tapped out.  I was quickly lifted to the top and was facing Jared.  
​“ Are you alright?” he asked.
​“I’m gonna rest a for a couple of minutes.”
​ I swam to the docks, breathing heavily.  I clung onto the docks trying to calm down.  I waited 5 minutes: watching the others, one by one, disappearing and then resurfacing 10 feet away.  Then the first kid had passed.  He climbed onto the docks and sat right next to me.  We both didn’t say a word to each other.  I was still too scared to talk.  Then another, and another, and another…  A line of victors started by a little kid.
I couldn’t do it.

1 comment:

  1. What town is this in? Have you gone back? Danny Bagley

    ReplyDelete